Eligibility & College Policies for Study Abroad & Away

Eligibility to Study Away

In order to be eligible to participate in study abroad or away through Colorado College, students must meet and maintain four standards of eligibility:

  • Academic Eligibility--Including enrollment, degree progress, and academic standing.
  • Disciplinary Eligibility--Pertaining to suspension, probation, or other disciplinary actions.
  • Health Documentation--Many programs may include health-related requirements such as vaccination, or inoculation due to travel or entry requirements to program destinations. 
  • Passport & Visa Requirements--International travel programs require valid travel documents for transit and entry. 

The following drop-down items will outline the various eligibility requirements which students must expect to meet in order to be approved to travel either with a CC-led group program or with one of our partner-led semester or academic year away programs. 

All students are expected to meet Colorado College’s standards for academic performance. These standards also apply when considering eligibility for a study away program. 

Academic guidelines are in place to keep students on-track toward meeting the graduation requirements of the college (32 units with a cumulative GPA of 2.0). Students who do not meet Colorado College academic standards may be put on probation or suspended from the College. They may become ineligible to participate in the off-campus study until they are returned to good academic standing. 


Failure to maintain minimum good academic standing between program acceptance and program departure is grounds for dismissal, and you may face financial consequences related to a late program removal.

  • Every program, whether CC Faculty-led or through a partner organization, has a minimum GPA requirement.  Failure to maintain this minimum requirement in the time between program acceptance and program departure is grounds for dismissal. 
  • Students on academic probation or suspension cannot study away during this period, or as their first term back from academic probation or suspension. 
  • For a student placed on academic probation or suspension, a study away semester/year cannot also be the first semester of return as semesters away do not transfer GPA standing, so they cannot be used to improve a student's academic standing.  
  • A CC-led study away experience cannot be the first academic coursework to follow a suspension or probation.  On-campus coursework is needed to reestablish good academic standing.
  • A partner-led study away semester cannot be the first semester back from suspension or probation as these programs do not produce course grades, only credit.   

If you are applying for an approved non-CC partner program for study abroad or away, be aware that they may also have their own, different minimum threshold levels for GPA requirements and academic standing in order to be accepted. A student would need to meet both CC’s academic standards for off-campus study, as well as those of the partner program or host institution abroad/away.

For more information on Academic Standing categories, please visit this page from the Registrar's Office.


If a senior wishes to apply for a semester abroad or away during their senior year through an approved partner (non-CC) program, the additional required approval steps would be sought through the process of completing the required CC Internal Application for Study Away Approval in Summit. When a student indicates they’ll have senior standing on this application, a supplemental review step opens up in the application for you to complete. Please fill this out thoughtfully and thoroughly, and Summit will forward it for final review by the Dean of the College (again, this is automatically handled through Summit – you do not need to approach the Dean on your own for this exception). Make sure you have already spoken with your academic/major advisor about your academic plans before applying for off-campus study, as their approval in Summit is an integral step in the process of gaining permission.

In rare cases, it may be possible to study abroad or away for the Spring/final semester of senior year in order to complete degree requirements, with approval (through Summit) of both a student’s major advisor/department and the Dean of the College. If a senior wishes to study away for their final semester, you must be completing necessary degree requirement coursework in this semester (e.g., units required towards the 32 to graduate, fulfilling an All-College requirement, and/or a final requirement for a declared major or minor). Be aware also that study abroad transcripts can take 4-6 weeks on average after program completion to be processed and received from overseas institutions (sometimes longer), and this may result in your degree from CC being processed with a later official graduation date; for example, you would likely be an August graduate instead of a May graduate.

For individual CC blocks off-campus or CC faculty-led programs during senior year, no additional approval steps are needed beyond applying through Summit as usual.


Due to the timing of the application processes for blocks away, new (first year and transfer) students typically begin to join block away courses in the summer after their first year of study. Semester and year-long off-campus study are generally open to sophomores, juniors, and Fall-semester seniors.


Students who have met all graduation requirements and who will participate in the May graduation ceremony as full graduates may not enroll in summer study away blocks for the summer following their final year at the college.  However, it may be possible for a student who requires the summer course to complete their degree to participate in May graduation ceremonies and then use the summer course as their final unit of academic credit.  THis is only possible if the summer course completes one of the following requirements for the student:

  • The summer course completes the student's major program (Work towards a minor or 2nd major does not qualify).
  • The summer course completes a collegewide graduation requirement within the general education program which otherwise would be unfulfilled. 
  • The summer course completes the student's 32nd unit of academic credit required for degree completion.

Students considering a summer course following graduation to complete their degree should speak with Global Education PRIOR TO APPLICATION to see if they qualify to enroll and to discuss aid eligibility, including Wild Card eligibility.  

All students are expected to meet Colorado College’s standards for disciplinary conduct and adherence to community standards. This standard is also relevant when a student applies for, is accepted to, or is participating in a study away program. 

As part of the process of applying to any study away opportunity, a discipline check will be performed on each student, through the Office of Student Life, as part of the Summit application review process. Any open, unresolved conduct issues, violations, or outstanding sanctions must be completed and resolved before an application can move forward in the process of acceptance/approval for study away. Students who do not meet Colorado College disciplinary standards and who are placed on disciplinary probation or suspension from the College, or deemed “persona non grata” status, become ineligible to participate in the off-campus study until they are returned to good disciplinary standing and complete any required sanctions or restitution.


Any student who is placed on either disciplinary probation or suspension in the time between program acceptance and departure will be dismissed from the CC program, or their approval to participate in a partner program will be revoked by Colorado College. The revocation or removal will be implemented after conduct process appeals are adjudicated and if the disciplinary sanctions are upheld. It is the student's responsibility to file any appeal within the time period given by the Office of Student Life in their sanction letter. Students who are removed from study away programming may face financial consequences related to a late program removal or withdrawal.

The same financial ramifications for withdrawal apply to any student who is required to be removed from a program due to a change in academic standing or a disciplinary probation or suspension which no longer qualifies the student for participation.  In the case of a block away, this can lead to a considerable portion of the program fee being billed to the student despite their dismissal from the program.  In the case of a semester or academic year away, any portion of the tuition funds, housing funds, meal plan funds, or program fee which is retained by external partners due to a late withdrawal must be paid once more to the college before enrollment back on campus can be permitted.  

Once a student has returned to good disciplinary standing and has completed any required sanctions or restitution, they become eligible to apply for a future study abroad or study away program. If acceptance to the original program is still viable, the student may be reconsidered upon re-application. Space cannot be held for a student in anticipation of a return to good disciplinary standing; only through a new application can a student seek new approval. Any financial aid linked to the original application will be rescinded upon initial revocation; upon a later re-application, a new aid award would be reconsidered at that time depending on funds available.


If you are applying for a CC-approved partner program for study abroad or away, be aware that they may also have their own, different behavioral/conduct threshold levels in order to be accepted and to maintain eligibility to participate. The Center for Global Education & Field Study must report any conduct violations and sanctions at CC to your partner program upon their request as part of your application and predeparture process. A student would need to meet both CC’s minimum conduct standards for off-campus study eligibility, as well as those of the partner program or host institution abroad/away.


In the event of student conduct violation while away from campus on a study away program which leads to considerable concern for the faculty leader(s) of the program, disciplinary actions may be taken in coordination with the Global Education team as well as the Student Life Office for Community Standards & Student Support.  Students are advised about the disciplinary policies of the college as part of their predeparture orientation program.  Both students and parents should be aware that Colorado College's zero-tolerance policy for possession or use of illicit or illegal drugs extends to all CC-led study away programs.  This includes use of cannabis and related products, even when a student possesses documentation for its medical use.  Possession or use of illegal or illicit drugs on any CC-led study away program will result in immediate dismissal and removal from the program and all program resources (housing, transportation, etc.).  Quite distinct from drug policy, the alcohol policies on CC faculty-led study away can vary by program and destination.  All programs align with local laws regarding legal purchase and consumption of alcohol, however faculty are permitted to implement clearly-defined alcohol policies specific to their program, which may differ from local laws or from on-campus policies found at Colorado College. These policies are introduced to students during their predeparture orientation program. Violation of program-specific alcohol policies can lead to a disciplinary action and/or dismissal from the study away program.  

Should a student behavioral concern or conduct issue be presented to the college while a student is away from campus, including issues arising from conduct prior to departure, the Student Life Office for Community Standards & Student Support will notify the Global Education team and potential disqualification from the program could result.  For conduct violations which occur while overseas/away from campus, faculty communicate and discuss their concerns with the Global Education Team and the Student Life Office for Community Standards & Student Support.  An on-site sanction or requirement for retention on the program may be issued or the student may be dismissed from the program. 

If a student is found to be responsible for violating one of CC's conduct policies or community standards while studying away from CC, consequences may include sanctions, probation, or removal from the program. If a student is removed from a program while abroad or away, this may result in: loss of credit for the course(s); loss of all funds dedicated to the program/removal with no refund; inability to participate in future study away programs; and reporting of the dismissal or infraction/violation to the CC Office of Student Life, who may follow up for additional on-campus processes or sanctions upon your return. As with any on-campus sanctions, students will have appeal and support rights.

For students dismissed from a CC-led study away program, the following is true:

  • The student will be removed from program housing and must cease contact with program participants. 

  • The program staff may assist the student with any alterations to their travel plans, but all costs associated with travel cancellation must be paid by the student and/or their financial backers. 

  • Dismissal from a study away program produces a grade of NC for the course or courses in place at the time of dismissal. 

  • Dismissal from a study away program does not produce a refund of any program fees or charges.  

  • Dismissal from a study away program results in filing of a conduct case for review by the Student Life Office of Community Standards & Student Support. 

  • The conduct case tied to program dismissal may lead to additional sanctions, at the discretion of the Student Life Office of Community Standards & Student Support.

  • Upon dismissal, Global Education staff will notify the student's emergency contact to inform them of the alterations to the student's travel plans. 

  • Dismissal from a CC-led study away program will be presented to faculty should the student again apply to join a different CC-led study away program and may lead to disqualification from the additional programming. 

  • Similarly, Colorado College is required, when requested, to provide disciplinary information to a partner-provider upon application to a partner-led study away.  Prior dismissal from a CC-led study away can be used to disqualify the student from participation in a partner-led program in the future.  

Any students applying for an international off-campus study program will be required to meet any health-related entry requirements for the destination country/city.  This may include requirements to be fully vaccinated against COVID, Yellow Fever, or other illnesses/diseases, completion of pre-departure testing, and/or completion of tracking documents or digital health enrollment to allow for entry to your destination country.  

Students should also be prepared to meet any requirements in place for re-entry to the United States.  While currently no such requirements exist, should a new epidemic or emergency health concern be announced, re-entry to the United States could require pre-flight testing or documentation of health.

Finally, during periods of public health concern, CC-led and partner-led programs may place limitations on independent travel during the program dates, including restrictions to remain in the host nation and additional reporting requirements, per current public health measures in effect at the time of your travel. 

While less frequently required than in recent years, COVID vaccination documentation still should be carried with you and carefully protected as you would any other important travel document. You may be required to show proof of vaccination to enter various locations abroad, depending on the country and your program’s itinerary. These requirements can change with very short notice, so having appropriate proof of vaccination may be a necessity for travel or for return to the United States. We also recommend scanning a copy of all vaccination documentation before you leave and carrying a photocopy in your luggage, separate from the original.

Colorado College will only require inoculations or other medical treatments when these are required for entry to a program's host destination.  On the rare occasions when CC requires inoculation in order to travel, it is the individual student's responsibility to obtain and cover the cost for these inoculations, however, students who receive financial aid towards the study away program will have the anticipated cost of the inoculation included in their aid calculation.  In all other cases, we recommend that students work with their physicians to review travel health recommendations from the Centers For Disease Control and make appropriate decisions about preventative care such as inoculations, anti-malarial medications, adjustments in medications, or personal health practices.  All expenses for voluntary inoculations or preventative medical treatment is the responsibility of the student. 


While it is not necessary to have a valid passport in order to be eligible to begin the CC application process for study abroad, you should begin the passport application or renewal process as soon as possible in order to ensure you will have the required documentation needed to participate in the program, if accepted.  

If you do not hold and have never held a passport, currently receive need-based aid from Colorado College, and are in need of financial support to apply for a passport to participate in your study abroad program, you may apply for an Academic Opportunities Grant to help cover some of those expenses.   

If you currently hold a passport, make sure you know where it physically is (you would be surprised how often passports get misplaced in the process of moving to college), and then look to verify the expiration date on your passport (it may be sooner than you think!). Some countries require that your passport be valid for up to  6-12 months after your planned departure date from the country/after the end date of your program abroad.  If it is close, it is time to renew. 

Standard passport processing times for U.S. passports can range from 8-16 weeks for standard processing. Expedited processing is available for an additional fee and usually is estimated to take between 5 to 8 weeks. You can check current processing times on the U.S. Passport Agency’s website.

Students who are unable to travel with a CC-led study abroad program due to an inability to acquire or renew a passport by the departure date could face significant financial ramifications for a last-minute withdrawal from the study away program. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that they are able to obtain any required travel documents in time for initial program departure. 


A visa is essentially permission from another country to enter and remain in their country for a stated period of time, for the purposes of completing your study program. All students studying abroad through CC must obtain the correct visa(s) required by the country or countries they will be studying in. Visa requirements vary widely by country (based both on your country of citizenship/passport you will be traveling on, as well as your destination and their entry regulations). It is important that you know what visa requirements will apply to you so that you can prepare for this well in advance. Failure to obtain a visa will result in you not attending the program.

For many 1-block programs or 2-block half-semester programs, a student visa is often not required as students are not enrolling in a local university and are not staying abroad for more than 90 days. For most destinations, a tourist visa, or simply a passport is enough for entry and stay of up to 90 days. This can vary widely based on the country which has issued your passport. While most U.S. passport holders can visit a range of countries without a visa, this is not always true, nor is it true of travelers with other national passports. It is important for you to verify whether or not a visa is needed even for your participation even in a 1-block program. If a visa is required for a CC-led one- or two-block program, most of the time you would apply for the correct tourist/90-day visa and not a student visa, as programs led by CC do not have you enrolled as a student in a local foreign universi

If you do need a student visa, applying for it can be an involved process that requires your careful attention. You should begin to do research about the student visa requirements for the country or countries you will be visiting and living in even before you know you have been accepted to your program. Entry requirements can change at any time. We advise that you pay close attention to consular updates, as you are responsible for knowing and addressing the requirements for your host country and study abroad program. Gathering the required documentation for your student visa can take as much or more time than your study abroad application itself.

If you are participating in a CC-approved partner program abroad, usually your program will be your primary source of the most current visa application process information, as well as the issuer of any required documentation needed to obtain your student visa, as their student for that semester or year. If you require a Verification of Enrollment letter (or similar) from Colorado College as your home institution, you can request that letter from the CC Registrar.

The Center for Global Education at Colorado College is not responsible for obtaining student visas nor can we be responsible for visa complications, delays, or visa denials. Unfortunately, Colorado College does not have the ability to change visa requirements, nor does it help if we call consulates or embassies on your behalf. Though we're happy to help you in whatever way we can through the timely issuance of required documentation when this comes through CC, the decision to issue you a visa rests solely with the consulate or embassy.

Please be aware that the visa application process for some countries may require students to surrender their passports for several weeks or months before starting the study abroad program. These consular requirements may impact students' independent travel plans. Visa requirements should be investigated and considered by all applicants prior to planning independent travel (including travel over breaks or arriving early to your program site). All students are required to be in possession of the proper visa documentation in order to participate in any program.


Students who are enrolling in multiple programs, whether individual blocks or longer programs, within the same calendar or academic year should meet with Global Education BEFORE CONFIRMATION OF ENROLLMENT to ensure that additional visas are not required.  Even in countries which allow entry without a visa, the entry period is often limited to a 90-day visit within any 6-month span.  When enrolling in multiple programs, the duration of stay may exceed 90 days, which creates a visa concern.  Since most CC-led study away programming is not eligible for longer stay student visas as they are not located at local universities, it may not be possible for a student to complete multiple CC-led programs within the same year due to the limited duration of the tourist visa (entry with passport).  


International (non-U.S.-citizen) students at Colorado College may have additional costs and requirements related to studying abroad which are not common for U.S. citizens. 

  • You may be required to obtain a visa to enter the program’s host country when U.S. citizens do not. Visas commonly require paying a fee.
  • You may need to schedule visa appointments through consular offices outside of Colorado and travel independently to these appointments.
  • If your program is a CC faculty-led program, you will likely need a letter from Colorado College to support your visa application. Please allow at least two weeks for these letters to be issued before your visa appointment; waiting until the last minute to request these may mean that we do not have time to issue them to you.
  • You may need to apply well in advance to obtain a visa appointment.  Do not wait until the final weeks before departure to begin this process. We recommend beginning the visa process as soon as is allowed (for example, Schengen visa applications can now be initiated 180 days/6 months before program departure, rather than the previous 90 days).

CC Financial Aid does not cover these costs connected to applying for visas for any CC block abroad programs. If you believe you will need financial support in order to obtain the necessary visa for a program to which you have been accepted, please contact CC Global Education.  Funds are available (on a limited basis) from Global Education.

In the event a student utilized CC funds in order to obtain their visa for study abroad only to later withdraw from the program, that student may be billed for the visa expenses as these are only supported by CC when the visa leads to participation in study abroad.  It is important that students understand the financial implications of a late withdrawal from a study abroad program.  

  • Study Away is not recommended for First Year Students.  The transition to college is significant, and adding the additional layer of a study away program can produce less than desirable outcomes.  Furthermore, the application periods for study away often preclude students from engaging in the initial application, putting them at greater risk of denial of participation or inability to acquire aid.  

  • While it may be possible, based on the timing of the application cycles, for First Year Students to apply for a Block Away in Blocks 7 or 8, as well as a Spring Semester Away, be advised that many programs require sophomore status for approval, and that internal financial aid from Colorado College is not typically available to students earlier than the summer following their first year.  

  • We also believe it is important to work with your advisor to develop an intentional, purposeful, and well-considered plan for study away, which is often not possible during the first semester of a student's first year, which is why we recommend looking at the summer following your first year as the earliest study away window you should consider. 

show all / hide all

Important Study Away Policies

For all study abroad and away program models, please understand:

  • Off-campus programming requires advance reservations and bookings, the timeframe for application and registration is earlier and longer in duration than the simpler process for on-campus course registration.  
  • All CC-led and Partner-led programs have application periods or application deadlines which occur well before course registration for a given semester begins, and often fill on a rolling basis. 
  • Last minute enrollment is not possible for any study away programming.  Unlike an on-campus course where open seats can be occupied even up to the first days of the course, with study away courses, early application and approval is essential and last-minute additions are prohibited.

  • All applications begin on the SUMMIT online platform.  Enrollment in the course through the standard course enrollment process happens later in the process.
  • Both CC Faculty-led Programs and Partner-led Programs may use rolling admissions. Regardless of the final date for applications in each program type, we always recommend early application whenever possible.
  • It is essential that students apply to, and be accepted into, a study away program in Summit before attempting to register for any courses for the semester in question.
  • Students applying for a Partner-led study away program (semester or year away) must complete both the CC process in Summit and the provider's own application.  These can be done simultaneously.  


Blocks Away: Getting Started

Summer Away: Getting Started

Semester or Academic Year Away: Getting Started

Once approved to join either a CC-led or Partner-led study away program, all students are required to complete a confirmation process in Summit, in order to "lock in" their roster spot or to confirm intent to participate on the program.  This process also provides students the appropriate enrollment codes needed to register for the course(s) as part of their CC course registration process (Banner). Only students who have completed all post-approval documents and waivers in Summit will be eligible to enroll in the appropriate study away courses.  

The post-approval forms for CC-led programs away (found on Summit and required of all students) include the following:  

  • Behavioral Contract:  Expanding upon the CC Code of Conduct already in effect for all students.  
  • Program Fee Agreement:  Outlining the financial commitments involved with the study away program and the financial ramifications of a post-deadline withdrawal.  

In addition to these forms, students will have to upload passport information (international programs only) and acknowledge receipt of information relevant to several offices on campus. Upon completion of all of these elements, the student will be asked to confirm their acceptance of their position on the appropriate study away program.  

Each program type has its own timeline for the required confirmation process.  To determine which timeline is appropriate for your program/course, please visit the appropriate link below: 

Aid for Study Away at Colorado College depends on two factors, the program type and the student's financial status as defined by the CC Financial Aid Office.  In this brief outline, we will identify the types of aid available and the eligibility for each. 


All CC-led Blocks during the school year have a program fee above and beyond the standard semester charges for tuition, room & board.  These fees pay for the expenses on site such as housing, group meals, ground transportation, and travel insurance (international only).  To offset this fee, and to assist students with the cost of airfare to/from the program site, the college provides Block Away Aid Awards.  These awards are available to students who normally receive need-based aid to attend the college.  They are designed to cover a range of costs from 20% of the estimated program cost (program fee + airfare) up to 90% of the estimated program cost.  No student receives an award for 100% coverage.  The aid awards are available for both academic year or summer blocks, but eligible students are limited to a total of 2 Block Away Aid Awards during their time at the college.  

For more information on Block Away Aid, visit the Blocks Away: Billing & Aid webpage. 


CC Summer blocks have the same program fee structure as an academic year block away and the same Block Away Aid Awards are available to help support the costs of the program fee and airfare charges.  In addition to these charges, all summer blocks require payment of summer tuition.  In 2024 this tuition is $6,000 per unit.  Most courses are 1 unit courses, with the exception of Summer in Spain, which is a 2-unit program with tuition billed for 2 courses. 

To offset the summer tuition charge, CC has a program called the Wild Card, which is automatically applied to every student's first CC summer course, offsetting (removing) the tuition charge for that first unit of summer credit.

For more information on Block Away Aid for Summer as well as the Wild Card, visit the Summer Away: Billing & Aid webpage.


Unlike individual Block Away courses, CC-led semester and half-semester (4-block or 2-block) programs receive the majority of their funding not from a program fee but from funds transferred from student tuition, room & board charges.  This impacts the way costs are paid and students are billed.

Full semester away:  Students pay standard semester tuition at the College.  In lieu of paying CC room & board, they pay a program fee which is typically slightly lower than standard on-campus room & board.   All normal aid which would go towards student tuition, room & board is applied to the charges for the semester program, so no additional aid is required specific to the semester away. 

Half-semester away: Students pay standard semester tuition, room & board to the college.  All program costs are paid by these charges.  For students who either live off-campus for the semester in question, or who have a reduced (apartment) meal plan, a program fee equivalent to the program funds provided by room & board fees is assessed to the student.  All normal aid which would go towards student tuition, room & board is applied to the charges for the half-semester program, so no additional aid is required specific to the semester away.  Students who live off campus may wish to seek sublets or make arrangements with roommates to help offset the cost of both off-campus rent/utilities and the program fee for housing during the 2-blocks of study away.  No additional aid is provided to counter the potential for double housing charges due to off-campus leases. 

For more information on CC-led Semester charges and Billing, visit the Semester & Year Away: Billing & Aid webpage.


For partner-led programs, students are billed standard CC tuition for the semester/year, known as the "Home School Tuition Model" for study away, as well as a "program fee" which is equivalent to the charges billed for non-academic components of the partner-program (essentially room & board in most cases).  All normal aid which would go towards student tuition, room & board is applied to the charges for the semester or year away program. Students also complete a program cost estimate which allows the Financial Aid Office to determine if the cost of study on the semester/year away requires additional support for the anticipated "cost of attendance".  There are no CC-sponsored supplemental aid awards designated for semester study as all aid is provided through the standard semester support processes. 

For more information on Partner-led Semester/Year charges and billing, including the Home School Tuition Model, visit the Semester & Year Away: Billing & Aid webpage.


Students who wish to participate in multiple study away opportunities while attending Colorado College should be aware that there are limits to the aid available for study away.  All students eligible for need-based aid are able request or utilize the following aid:

Two (2) Block Away Aid Awards:  Support for the program fees & airfare charges for two Block Away Courses, including both Academic Year and Summer blocks away.

One (1) Wild Card Award:  Provided to students enrolled in their first CC summer course (on- or off-campus).   

Two (2) Semesters or One (1) Year of Standard CC Financial Aid applied to the charges for an off-campus semester or year away.  


Students enrolling in a second summer block, or who join a 2-block summer program, should anticipate being billed for the summer tuition for their 2nd summer block as the Wild Card can only be used towards a student's 1st summer course (unit of credit).  Students who seek to join a 3rd block away (summer or academic year) would not be eligible for a third Block Aid Award.  Similarly, a student who sought to join a third semester away program, or to take a semester away after completing a full year away, would not be eligible for their annual aid award funds to be used to cover the costs of the program's tuition or program fees.  The full cost of the additional semester would need to be paid by the student, including the full CC tuition for that semester. 


All Study Away programs at Colorado College (CC-led and Partner-led) have both a Commitment Deadline and a Withdrawal Deadline.  The commitment deadline is the date by which students approved for a program must complete their post-approval forms and commit to joining the program.  The Withdrawal Deadline is the latest date a student can withdraw from the program with no fees or charges assessed to their CC Account.  In the case of Block Away programs, these two dates are the same and are referred to as the Commitment & Withdrawal Date or Deadline.  For Semester Away programs, these two dates may be separated, requiring commitment but allowing for later withdrawals. Partner-led programs may also have set withdrawal dates identified by the partner-provider for the program. 


Withdrawal information for all programs are found on the appropriate Billing & Aid webpages.  This includes the timeframe for fee-free withdrawal and the policies regarding the fees required for late withdrawal.  You should review this information on the page which aligns with your program:




When a student enrolls with a partner-led semester or year away program, Colorado College uses a financial model known as the "Home School Tuition" model. In the Home School Tuition model, all CC students are charged CC tuition in lieu of the advertised partner program tuition fee. The College, in turn, makes the tuition payment to the partner organization and, when appropriate, provides financial aid comparable to the on-campus support level to the student towards the anticipated costs of the semester or year away (including room & board, travel expenses, visas, etc.).  While this removes the possibility of a semester away program producing a savings for a student in comparison to a semester on campus, it also assures that the study away experience is supported by the full financial aid offerings an on-campus semester would allow and allows for full credit transfer, unlike the limitations on credit transfer found in alternative financial models used at some institutions. 

For a detailed rationale for, and impact of the Home School Tuition Policy, please refer to our information on HST found in the semester and year away billing and finances page of this website.

While the wide range of CC Faculty-led study away opportunities, including all CC Blocks Away as well as CC Faculty-led Semester and Half-Semester programs, do not require a transfer of credit from external universities or organizations, credit transfer is a requirement with any of our pool of pre-approved semester or year-long study away opportunities, as well as with any external programs approved through special petition. 

For a full breakdown of the process for, limits of, and equivalencies in transferable credit, please visit our Credit Transfer Overview Page within the Semesters Abroad section of our website. 

While we would always recommend that students first consider either a CC-led or Partner-led study away program from our extensive list of faculty-guided and partner programs, there may be an instance where an outside provider or university offers a course or program which is a perfect academic fit for an individual student.  It is possible for students to petition to enroll in unaffiliated (non-CC, non-partner) study away for a semester, a summer, or during the January break between Block 4 and Block 5.  

For policies guiding the petition and credit transfer processes for unaffiliated programs, please visit our page on "Petitioning for Other Programs Away"

show all / hide all

Report an issue - Last updated: 05/21/2024